Get to Know Two of Northfield High School’s Newest Teachers

Audrey Langston-Wiebe and Noelle Rithner, Interview Beat

Great teachers give their students a reason to show up to school every day. This is why TDN sat down Northfield High School’s newest teachers, because it’s important to know the people who will be shaping you for years to come.

Ms. Juchno- Principles of Biomedical Science teacher and co-leader of HOSA club

TheDailyNighthawk.com: What do you teach and to which grades?

Juchno: I teach 9th through 12th graders and I teach principles of Biomedical Science.

TDN: What college did you go to?

Juchno: For my Undergraduate Degree I went to Siena College, for Graduate school I went to the University of Colorado Anschutz and I went to Regis University.

TDN: Do you supervise any clubs?

Juchno: I help teach HOSA along with Ms. Cannava and Mr. Murray

TDN: What did you want to be growing up?

Juchno: Growing up I probably would say I wanted to be a doctor.

TDN: Do you have any suggestions or tips for students?

Juchno: Get involved, find what you’re passionate about and really pursue it. Also, understand that school is the way to help you get to where you want to be in life, so do the best that you can while you’re here.

Mr. Kenkel – History and Civics Teacher

TheDailyNighthawk.com: How long have you taught at Northfield?

Kenkel: It is my first year, so about a month.

TDN: What subject do you teach?

Kenkel: I teach U.S History and Civics.

TDN: What grade levels do you teach?

Kenkel: I teach freshmen, juniors, and seniors.

TDN: What college did you attend?

Kenkel: I attended college at the University of Iowa.

TDN: Do you supervise any clubs?

Kenkel: I do not. However, I had a student approach me about doing a National History Day competition, which I’ve done in the past and I’d be happy to do again, and prepare some great papers, presentations, videos, and projects to compete with.

TDN: What did you aspire to be growing up?

Kenkel: I’ve wanted to be a teacher, so I fulfilled my dreams.

TDN: How does Northfield compare to other schools you’ve taught at?

Kenkel: Since it’s a relatively new school, there’s a lot of decisions that have yet to be made. It seems like there are some organizational issues that we are overcoming. Compared to other schools I think the students are all interesting people, and are very good at what they do. I love the level of academic competency.

TDN: What has been your best Northfield experience?

Kenkel: I liked the back to school night. When the parents came in they were very easy going, they seemed very interested in the content of the class, and I think that the level of parent engagement is something that I didn’t have at my last school. To have an extra level of support at home is something I’m excited for.

TDN: Why did you begin teaching?

Kenkel: In the summer I worked at a meatpacking plant, and it was the worst job in the entire world. Whenever August rolled around I got to go back to school. Some people think “Oh no I have to go back to school” but for me it was like I’d get to leave the meatpacking plant and go to school, which was the better option, so school was something I wanted to replicate with my career. That’s why I became an educator.

TDN: Why did you choose Northfield?

Kenkel: I heard good things, I actually had a coworker in Iowa who worked here for a year, and she had so many positive things to say that made me want to work here.

TDN: Why did you choose the subject you specialize in?

Kenkel: History is like a big story, and I love to tell stories. I love sitting by the campfire telling stories. History is like a good way to tell a story, and it’s true, and some of the stories are just odd and crazy and wild, and hard to believe.

TDN: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the students of Northfield?

Kenkel: Take your work seriously, high school goes by fast so you need to prepare for the next chapter. And tell Mr. Lambert to cut down on the coffee.

Mr. Lambert is NOT laying off the coffee.