The Daily Nighthawk

NBA 2019 Free Agency Predictions

Levin Rahn, Sports Beat

Every NBA Fan is excited about the next NBA free agency season. This article will showcase some of the most interesting free agents of the next offseason.

Kevin Durant:

Kevin Durant will have most of the offers in the next year. The top teams are the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics. The Knicks just traded their Star Kristaps Porzingis as well as Tim Hardaway Jr. and Courtney Lee. All of them were on very big contracts. Obviously, this was a move to clear up their cap space. In exchange, Dennis Smith Jr., who will turn to a free agency in 2020. With him, there came two expiring contracts, Wesley Matthews and DeAndre Jordan, to the Knicks. The result of this is, that the Knicks will be able to sign two Superstars. The Los Angeles Lakers might have a change, but they will not have enough cap space to sign a second superstar. The Celtics might lose Kyrie Irving, and then they would have enough cap space to get Durant to Boston.

Kawhi Leonard:

Kawhi Leonard will be a free agent in the next year, but he has a good position in Toronto and could re-sign with the Raptors. He gets enough money and he might have enough potential around him to win a championship. He got offers from the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers probably have the best chance to sign Leonard, because he would play there for less money. Almost every player would take this offer if he could play with Lebron. Not only that, but Leonard was looking to sign with the Lakers after leaving the Spurs but couldn’t resulting in his contract with Toronto being only a year long. Oklahoma will have another good chance, but they would have to clear a lot of cap space before they could sign a third star. If they could get Kawhi, they would be a possible danger for the Warriors, which would make the Western Conference much more interesting.

Kyrie Irving:

Kyrie Irving will be another very exciting free agent in this year. He is also one of the hardest to predict where he will play in 2019. If he stays in Boston he would have a good environment to be successful in the next years.  The Celtics own two high draft picks in 2019, so there might be another really strong factor for Irving to stay in New England. The second team, which has a bigger chance of signing Irving are the New York Knicks. The problem is, that if Kevin Durant will not sign there, Irving will not join them. If everything goes right for the Knicks, they will have a great team to reach the playoffs. Many people might see a chance for the Lakers to get Irving, but there is the cap space problem once again. I am one of those people who miss the times when Irving and Lebron played together. If Leonard would join the Lakers, there is no chance, that Irving will get there too. Kyrie is one of the hardest Free Agents to predict.

Kemba Walker, Klay Thompson, DeMarcus Cousins:

All of them are Unrestricted Free Agents, so their teams still have the right to sign them again. That will be probably the case for DeMarcus Cousins and Klay Thompson because they have a great position at the Golden State Warriors. it is harder to predict for Kemba Walker because there are two options: there could be a team, which is ready to pay the price the Charlotte Hornets are offering, or the Hornets have to get another Star who can work together with Walker. Someone like Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving or Kevin Durant would not see any perspectives on success in Charlotte, so they most likely would not join them.        

Jimmy Butler:

Jimmy Butler might be interesting for some fans, but for some, he is just another good player in the NBA. For him, I see only a few options. One is to stay in Philadelphia. He has a great environment there. There are young stars like Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons who give the team great potential. Both of them will get better and Philadelphia can be a great team to dominate the Eastern Conference.

Another option for him could be that he will sign with the Lakers, the Knicks, the Pacers or possibly the Celtics. On any of these teams, he will have a great environment to get better, but those teams either have another superstar on his position or not enough cap space to sign him. I see his future in Philadelphia and nowhere else.

Where do you think these guys will end up playing next year? What do you think will happen to teams who could potentially lose or gain a player next season? Let us know in the comments!