The Daily Nighthawk

LeBron James: Official G.O.A.T.

Ryan Thelen, Sports Beat

LeBron James has always been the most dominant player on the floor when he is playing. He was so good in high school that he was given the nickname “King James” when he was a junior. His supremacy in the sport was noticed quickly by NBA scouts and soon became the most popular high schooler in the nation. After he graduated from Saint Vincent-Saint Mary in 2003 he was drafted number one overall by the cavaliers and became one of only forty two athletes drafted straight out of high school.

Soon after being drafted his greatness was on display, earning 2003 rookie of the year and shooting 42%, grabbing 4 rebounds, 6 assists, and 20 points per game. In his second year he took a leap in scoring by 7 points going from 20 to 27, upping field goal percentage, rebounds, and assists as well. After his rookie season he never scored less than 25 points per game again.

In addition to LeBron being a scoring machine, he is a 14 time all star in consecutive years as well. Another unreal statistic is that he has been to every finals since 2011. Thats 8 straight and he has won 3 of those, being finals MVP in all 3. On top of that LeBron is a 4 time NBA MVP, and is in the running for the award every year. Not only is he an MVP and an all star but he is proving his case for the best to ever play.

He recently passed Dirk Nowitzki for 6th all time in scoring, now only behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Karl Malone, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, and Wilt Chamberlain. LeBron is averaging just over 2000 points a year and on that pace he will break the all time record for scoring. LeBron is also 6th on the all time triple double list as well.

Although he is on the decline of his career he is still accomplishing new things every year, such as the 2016 finals when he led the cavaliers back from a 3-1 deficit. This is seen as one of the biggest choke cases in sports history due to the fact that a 73-9 warriors team lost 3 games in a row to a 57 win cavaliers team. But what people don’t understand is that LeBron was the leading factor in that comeback, scoring 208 points over the course of 7 games(nearly 30 points per game). And in the 2016-2017 NBA Finals, LeBron became the first player in history to average a triple double in the finals.

Of course there are other great players in the NBA such as Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, James Harden, and Kevin Durant. But none of these players have had the sustained dominance that LeBron has had, they could prove to be a new LeBron in the future, but as of the last 15 years the National Basketball Association has belonged to King James.