The Art of Teaching Art at Northfield High School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blanca Monge

Blanca Monge

Blanca Monge

Blanca Monge, Art & Fashion Beat

Recently, two of Northfield’s art teachers sat down to discuss why they love teaching their Art class.

TheDailyNighthawk.com: What are your goals for the year for your students?

Mr. Judd: To see students ownership over their own development and students observation of their learning goals and to see them master those learning goals.

Ms. Harper: I want the students to find there artistic voice and to openly express who they are and to feel comfortable expressing that voice.

TheDailyNighthawk.com: What are some of the art skills that you want to show your students?

Mr. Judd: To have resilience and perseverance and without out those thing great art is not impossible.

TheDailyNighthawk.com: What do you love about art and what’s your experience with it?

Mr. Judd: The meditative of art that he keeps working hard and coming back to it.

Ms. Harper: The experience of art and going to places seeing other art work and taking students with her.

TheDailyNighthawk.com: What do you want your students to know about art?

Ms. Harper: To learn the process of art and making it and being in the moment with it and face the challenges with it.

Mr. Judd: To embrace those aspects and to take risk of art and to take artistic risk.

TheDailyNighthawk.com: Are there any art shows coming up?

Ms. Harper: We participate in an Art Show competition for all DPS schools and compete with other schools and last year we had 6 out of 10, top 3 top art schools.

TheDailyNighthawk.com: What would you like the staff and students of Northfield High School to know about art?

Mr. Judd: Art is hard and to understand hard thing to active but a beautiful thing when  people find success in it.

Ms. Harper: Art is something to enjoy the surface of and get into the actual process of that moment of inspiration and it takes time of planning and sketching.